Sunday, October 19, 2008

expecting the unexpected.

So these days blogging seems to be the new hip thing to do so I figured I'd hop on that bandwagon and create my very own blog/online journal documenting my time in Italy and other parts of Europe. I'm grateful for those of you who are willing to check in every once in awhile and I hope that this proves somewhat interesting or at least gives you an insight into what I'm learning/doing/experiencing over the next few months.

In about 24 hours I will be on a plane to Venice for my first leg of the journey. I couldn't be more excited. Everyone's been asking me what exactly I'll be doing over there and the best I can come up with is to say that I'll be hopping around to different organic farms/"agriturismos" and working alongside native Italians. To learn more about the program, go to www.wwoof.it. Yup, four years of college and now I'm a farmer. Talk about being responsible. I sold my car, deferred my loans, packed everything I need in a backpack and am taking off. Other than the "wwoofing", I don't really know what each day will bring. However, one thing I do know is how incredibly blessed I am to do something like this. I am only 22. I have the chance to bum around Europe for a long time. Most people in the world are wondering where their next meal is coming from or how they're going to pay their bills and I'll be visiting cathedrals and learning how to make pasta from scratch. I am so grateful.

So I guess another way of phrasing that "what are you doing" question is to ask, "what are you expecting?" Ah expectations. I've realized there's quite a difference between expectations and goals. I think we all do a lot out of expectation - mostly trying to meet the expectations others have for us. However, that usually ends up backfiring because we probably never feel like we can ever really meet those expectations or we end up miserable because we feel stuck trying to please everybody else when all we really wanted was to be ourselves. Now don't get me wrong, expectations aren't all bad. For example, having high expectations for my students (in case you didn't know, I have my teaching license and am planning on becoming a high school social studies teacher) is a great thing - students tend to meet high expectations and are all the more successful because they were actually challenged. However, in other areas of life, expectations can sometimes leave us with a sour taste in our mouth. That's why I say it's best to have low expectations. Shoot for mediocrity and you'll never end up disappointed! haha. Therefore the only expectation I have for myself on this trip is to expect the unexpected. Oh and by the way, if you're wondering when exactly I will end up using that teaching license I worked so hard to earn over the past four years, don't worry - I plan on coming back and getting a real job as soon as possible. I just figure I'd take my retirement now when I can actually enjoy it!

So for the next seven and a half months I'm not focusing on expectations but rather goals. Goals are great to have - something to work for - something you choose for yourself-something to keep you hoping and fighting. I have simple goals for this trip and here are a few of them:
1. Have a fantastic adventure.
2. Live simply. I can't think of anything better than working with your hands, digging in the earth and taking time to really appreciate God's creation.
3. Learn some great new skills i.e. the language, cooking, farming, gardening, etc.
4. Read and write a lot.
Yes, I know those goals are probably not earth shattering, but they seem pretty darn good to me. I guess I'll keep you updated on this blog at how they're coming along.

Another question people have been asking me is if I'm at all scared to go it alone for awhile and the answer to that is a resounding no. Besides, my parents are worried/anxious enough for everyone. (haha sorry mom and dad, love you!) Plus, I have terrific friends who have done a lot braver things. For example, my friend Matt is at his second go-around being a missionary in South Africa - I can't think of anything more brave than that - going into hard places, and shedding light - sharing Jesus. Heck, I know a ton of people that do that in America too - people who walk into high schools befriending teenagers and sharing that same hope of the gospel. Or like my friends Rob and Steve - men who serve in the military and risk their lives for this great country (ah yes, that's another thing you might learn about me from this blog...I love America - I know it's not popular to say these days, and I know America isn't perfect, but lighten up people! You can worship freely, work freely, speak freely etc. That doesn't happen everywhere.) Anyway,they're brave, not me - heck, I'll be eating gelato and drinking wine everyday, I can think of a lot worse things to do!

Ok, this post has gotten way to long and I should go pack! I suppose the next time you'll hear from me I'll be in beautiful Italy. Ciao! (one of the few Italian words I know so far...)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauren Eleuteri
You stay safe over there on this trip of a lifetime. God bless.

Kevin Carlin

abby :: tfp said...

you're fabulous!

Joanne said...

Dearest Lauren,
You are AWESOME!
We love you!
Stay safe...Be happy...
Love,
Aunt Joanne and Uncle Tom

Brian said...

Hey Lauren! I'm so excited you are coming to Europe!
I read about your program and it sounds like quite a challenge. I think it's great that you are doing this! And, I will definitely come visit you in the beautiful Italian countryside - not too shabby, I assume.

Btw, I love America too!

Anonymous said...

Lauren!!

You are an inspiration!! From one teacher in training to a certified teacher, I hope to do half the great things you do!! Keep us posted as I am sure you will, and I will be reading as much as you post!!

I love you always cousin, have fun and be safe!!

Love,
Nick